[6bone] Cisco or Juniper?

Pim van Pelt pim@ipng.nl
Sun, 18 May 2003 21:26:05 +0200

On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 12:23:24PM -0400, Christian Lazo  R. wrote:
| Hello list.
| I am working in  proyect for install ipv6 in my country (Chile)
|
| the questions is
|
| What is the best router for IPv6, Cisco or Juniper?
Juniper. The methods in which the IP2 handles incoming l2 frames makes
the machine have unparalelled performance with filtering, forwarding,
sampling, etc, of IPv6 frames. I have both Cisco 7200/7500 and Juniper
based boxes in my network and I'm undoubtedly in favor of Juniper at
this point in time.
Some of the important (for me at least) features are, that all boxes
share the same boot image. Each and every feature is guaranteed to
function without performance issues, fully in hardware. The box runs a
well documented and extremely lucid CLI which is totally interactable
via XML (over ssh, ssl or plain text), even remotely via perl plugins.
The box runs BSD as an operating system, which gives you full control
over the router if you're used to Linux+Zebra.

The cost of ownership as opposed to a ESR/GSR series router from Cisco
is reasonable, but still take into account 40-50K USD for a small box.

--
Pim van Pelt                 Email: pim@ipng.nl