[6bone] Re: [ipv6-wg@ripe.net] 6BONE database entries for non-3FFE space?

David Kessens david@IPRG.nokia.com
Wed, 14 May 2003 06:51:42 -0700

Pekka,

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 02:50:25PM +0300, ext Pekka Savola wrote:

> I'd like to hear what others have done with regard to this..
>
> Currently, we only have the RIPE 2001:FOO::/32 space anymore.  The
> assignments have been recorded in the RIPE database in the normal fashion,
> of course.  (Of course, the situation is the same with ARIN/APNIC/.. space
> too, but just to take an example.)
>
> Have folks w/ production space kept the 6bone database
>
> http://www.viagenie.qc.ca/en/ipv6/registry/ and
> http://www.cs-ipv6.lancs.ac.uk/ipv6/6Bone/Whois/
>
> up-to-date especially regard to assigned /48 sites?
>
> Or is there a rough consensus to let it rot in pieces for non-3FFE address
> space?

I don't see much reason to duplicate data in the 6bone registry. This
will only cause inconsistent data and that is not very desirable.
However, I have a fairly large disk so I don't mind if people would
like to this anyway.

'ipv6-site' objects are a completely different matter though. They
describe actual routing information and there is at this point no
alternative. In addition, we currently have a single unified registry
in contrast to the situation with the ipv4 routing registries and we
might want to keep it that way.

David K.
PS Followup mails should probably only go to the 6bone list
   since this is about the 6bone registry.
---