[6bone] Re: [ipv6-wg@ripe.net] Update on IPv6 filter recommendation

Pekka Savola pekkas@netcore.fi
Mon, 12 May 2003 11:40:30 +0300 (EEST)

On Mon, 12 May 2003, Gert Doering wrote:
> I have just added an update to the "strict" filter list of my IPv6 filter
> list recommendations on http://www.space.net/~gert/RIPE/ipv6-filters.html
>
> The new thing is that inside 2001:500::/29, the "strict" list is now
> permitting /48s.  This is because 2001:500:: is used for ARIN
> microallocations, and /48s are the "normal" allocation boundary in there.
>
> Two networks are already announced from within that block, 2001:500::/48
> and 2001:500:1::/48, and some ISPs promtly can't reach them due to
> too tight filtering.
>
> So if you filter very strictly, please adapt your filters for that block.

There is a danger that this uncoordinated madness will spread.  There has
been a proposal to extend the microallocation policy, but luckily enough
it has been shot down.

IMO, you should only let in 2001:500::/32 upto /48 if you really have to,
and not the other blocks in the /29 (especially, don't let through
exchange point addresses, under 2001:504::/32). Please refer to:
http://www.arin.net/registration/ipv6/micro_alloc.html