[6bone] came across this article any opinions??

Darragh Kennedy 9725415@student.ul.ie
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 15:48:44 +0000

I'll stick with IPv4 for now, thank you
By CHUCK YOKE
Network World, 03/13/00
I don't get it. Maybe it's because I'm over 40 and the brain cells are
dying, but there are many things happening today in the world of technology
that I just don't understand.
Take IPv6, for example. I just don't get it. Why in the world would I be
interested in investing the time, money and effort it is going to take to
convert my IPv4 networks to IPv6?
At one time I was very interested in IPv6. It was going to solve many of my
network problems. The extended address space would spare me from having to
create and maintain a variable-length, bit-level subnet addressing scheme.
The built-in authentication and security would let me sleep better at night,
knowing that only secure and authenticated packets were entering my
networks. The quality of service (QoS) would enable me to fully integrate my
voice and data over IP.
But then a crisis happened - I ran out of time. I needed IPv6 two years ago,
and it wasn't there. And I couldn't wait any longer. So I did what everyone
else in the world was doing: I integrated a variety of IPv4-based products
and services into my network.
My address needs were met by migrating my network to an RFC 1918-compliant
unregistered IP address. I now have IP addresses galore and can use a very
simplistic subnet-masking scheme to segment and identify my networks by
building and floor. My network technicians can tell from the second and
third octet exactly where a device is located.
For security, I chose a firewall with features that, when combined with the
appropriate access control lists, ensure the integrity of both incoming and
outgoing transmissions. I implemented a combination of Remote Authentication
Dial-In User Service and Challenge Handshake Authentication Protocol to
ensure that local, Internet-based and remote dial-in connections are granted
only to authenticated users with the appropriate access levels. And for
encrypting sensitive documents and files, I implemented PGP - inexpensive,
easy and best of all, it works!
My QoS needs were met by a combination of bigger pipes and faster equipment.
100Base-T and 1000Base-T Ethernet give me more than enough bandwidth, and
the advances in Application Specific Integrated Circuit technology ensure
that packet serialization delay is kept to a minimum. For the more stringent
QoS I may need in the coming years, I have a plethora of IPv4-based choices,
including policy-based networking, Differentiated Services, TCP rate shaping
and the old standby, ATM.
So here I am, manager of an IPv4-based network that works fine, is addressed
in a logical and easy-to-maintain manner, is secure, and integrates my voice
and data. I just don't see any need to convert my functional IPv4 network to
IPv6.