[6bone] Microsoft has released IPv6-only application for Beta

Jeroen Massar jeroen@unfix.org
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:30:46 +0100

Gav [mailto:old_mc_donald@hotmail.com] wrote:
> Hi Joroen,

it's J_e_roen mind you ;)
French people tend to write Jerome <grin>

<SNIP>

> | > Ethernet adapter Network Bridge (Network Bridge):
> | >
> | >         Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
> | >         Description . . . . . . . . . . . : MAC Bridge Miniport
> | >         Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-40-D0-2A-AF-71
> | >         Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
> | >         IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
> | >         Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
> | >         IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . :
> | 2002:c0a8:1:5:90f1:5098:252d:3eb7
> | >         IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . :
> | 2002:c0a8:1:5:cc71:215c:3c83:6492
> | >         IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . :
> | 2002:c0a8:1:5:480d:c580:2cc9:863e
> | >         IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . :
> | 2002:c0a8:1:5:bd90:af8b:f235:a243
> | >         IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . :
> | 2002:c0a8:1:5:5d0c:da6b:bacc:69f7
> | >         IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . :
> | 2002:c0a8:1:5:40:d0ff:fe2a:af71
> |
> | A private network with 6to4 addresses in RFC1918 space, these won't
ever
> | work.
>
> I can not find anything on RFC 1918 on the IETF site?
> However to me it does look like I'm trying to tunnel 6
> through 4 on my own LAN?
> I did not configure this however, either M$ autoconfig did
> this or it was TILAB's tunnel software. I can not work out which.

MS Autoconfig knows about RFC1918 (private address space, see:
eg http://1918.rfc.wiretrip.org or type rfc1918 in google) and
thus should not use that space for 6to4 tunnels. Also note that
you are quite probably running ICS on your machine, at least
that is what the "Network Bridge (Network Bridge)" could indicate.
But indeed it's your own LAN and not the public Inet.

> | > Tunnel adapter 6to4 Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:
> | >
> | >         Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
> | >         Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 6to4 Tunneling
> | > Pseudo-Interface
> | >         Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 90-89-FC-85
> | >         Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
> | >         IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . :
> 2002:9089:fc85::9089:fc85
> |
> | This _could_ work, it does use your public IPv4 of your
> PPPoE adapter.
>
> How did you work this out. I thought part of the address was
> obtained from the MAC layer?

2002:9089:fc85::9089:fc85
^    ^^^^^^^^^
|        +---------------- Your public IPv4 address (*1)
+------------------------- 2002::/16 == 6to4 space

*1 = 0x90 = 144
     0x89 = 137
     0xfc = 252
     0x85 = 133 ----> 144.137.252.133

OrgName:    Telstra
NetRange:   144.137.0.0 - 144.137.255.255
CIDR:       144.137.0.0/16
NetName:    TELECOMAU7

On the internet nobody is anonymous, or some other movie quote ;)

> | Based on the fact which outgoing interface your host picks it should
> | work.
> | Try some tracerouting and stuff, pings and the like and find out ;)
>
> Ok, I did that, and get a 242ms round trip average from
> ipv6.research.microsoft.com.
> I also get the brief message from the IPv6 only website, so
> that one works. I have tried others without luck.

Show traceroutes. Also when using a 6to4 relay in the US when
you are down under you should not expect good latencies.

> | Also when one installs the ThreeDegrees software, and thus
> > the P2P SDK
> | you get a newer IPv6 stack which supports Teredo.
> |
> | IMHO (<-- watch those four letters ;) a configured tunnels
> is better.
> | Especially while debugging and based on latency times. So you would
> | prolly be better off getting a tunnel.
>
> I thought I had a tunnel? Using TILAB's client software I
> have an address registrered until 2008.

That's not visible in your config output.

> Then again checking your IPv4 address
> | you are located in Australia, thus, mail progsoc@<lemme think>,
> | check their whois:
> | http://www.cs-ipv6.lancs.ac.uk/ipv6/6Bone/Whois/PROGSOC.html
>
> I can not ping6  their (PROGSOC) website :0(.
> So they get their access from TRUMPET.
> I have emailed Peter Tattum several times (over time) with no
> reply. (I know he's a busy man, in which case the alternative email
addys
> provided on the site should have someone available for a reply also!)

I think that the australian people should lobby at the current TLA
holders for a good working 6to4 or a TB. Call them up if needed
and put some pressure on them.

http://www.sixxs.net is IPv4 and IPv6 reachable.
http://www.ipv4.sixxs.net is IPv4 only (as it got only a A address :)
http://www.ipv6.sixxs.net is IPv6 only (as it got only a AAAA address :)

> Speaking of which , is there a native IPv6 DNS root server yet?

Yes, there is a testbed. Bill Manning knows all about it ;)

And one can even get AAAA in the gtld servers when going thru some
registrars, Joker and Netsol can't currently though :(

Greets,
 Jeroen