[6bone] Getting ISPs to use IPv6

Michel Py michel@arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Sun, 2 Mar 2003 16:24:54 -0800

> Jeroen Massar wrote:
> As an end user you will need to push your upstream, the
> people who you pay, along with a load of other people to
> get them to do IPv6. If they don't and you still want it,
> go to another ISP.

I don't see any single feature that IPv6 could bring me today that would
make me change the good deal I have with my IPv4 ISP. The 1% of IPv6 I
do does not justify changing the 99% of IPv4.

Frankly, if it was not for the research work I do on IPv6 I not could
care less about IPv6 as an Internet user; there is nothing that I need
or like that's not available on v4. ISPs are not dumb they know it too.

> Jonathan Guthrie wrote:
> It is premature to schedule the end of the 6bone until there
> are multiple dialup and broadband providers in the USA.

And not only in the USA. Someone knows about an IPv6 provider in Lyon or
Marseille, France? (the two biggest cities after Paris).

However, it is not premature to schedule the end of the 6bone; the 6bone
needs to sunset. What we must not do is to schedule a premature end.

Michel.