[6bone] Getting ISPs to use IPv6

Jeroen Massar jeroen@unfix.org
Sun, 2 Mar 2003 23:56:26 +0100

Jonathan Guthrie [mailto:jguthrie@brokersys.com] wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 18:02:32 Jeroen Massar wrote:
> > As an end user you will need to push your upstream, the people who
> > you pay, along with a load of other people to get them to do IPv6.
> > If they don't and you still want it, go to another ISP.
>
> And if there is no available ISP?  As I said before, saying
> 'give me IPv6 transit or I'll disconnect from the Internet'
> is not a credible threat.

Use an alternative like a tunnelbroker ;)

> It is premature to schedule the end of the 6bone until there
> are multiple dialup and broadband providers in the USA.

The current planning for dismanteling the 6bone is 2006,
that is 3 years from now. You prolly don't have any insight
what we have accomplished in Europe in the past 3 years.
Now it's time for the American folks to wake up and do their work.

Checking http://www.sixxs.net/tools/grh/tla/ it says that the US
have 73 TLA's out of the total 456 around the world. That count
is including 6bone allocations. 73/456 = 16% of the total allocated
IPv6 space on this planet. Apparently *some* ISP's are busy with
it, now you'll just have to convince your upstream.

They really need market *demand*, so you'll got to raise your voice.
In the mean time you can 'fallback' to a tunneled connection.
Of which enough are available.

Greets,
 Jeroen