[6bone] Getting ISPs to use IPv6

Jeroen Massar jeroen@unfix.org
Sat, 1 Mar 2003 01:02:32 +0100

Michael Sturtz wrote:

> I did check and although they seem to be currently waiving
> the fees until 12/31/03 that is only temporary and not long
> enough to spur increased investment.  The lowest fee they
> have is 2,500 per year for a standard /32 address space.
> Also, they will not (from what I can tell) allocate address
> space to non-ISPs i.e. end user organizations such as mine
> so, we must wait. until we can get it some other way.
> The company I work for has a class B IPv4 portable address block.
> If I am understanding ARIN's rules they will not allocate IPv6
> address space to an end user organization.  I personally
> would like to get a portable (globally routable) address
> block for my own personal use however there doesn't seem any
> way to do this easily.  I will admit that I am somewhat
> ignorant of how this whole process works however it would
> seem that it would spur IPv6 adoption if end users
> could get portable address space on their own without being
> dependant on an ISP.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

You and me and all the other 6 billion people walking around on this
earth
and using the internet are _end users_. And an end user is not an ISP.

The barrier for not giving everybody a "portable address space of your
own"
is simply because otherwise the routing tables would explode. Not even
speaking
about the fact that 6 billion * /32 doesn't fit in IPv6 address space.
There was something about Routing Hierarchy which is a good thing coming
along with IPv6. Also if your organisation is big enough ofcourse you
can pay up that small amount of 2500 US which is just a laugh compared
to what one pays for a real router, staff, cabling, housing, you name
it.
Also maintaining a backbone ISP really does take

As an end user you will need to push your upstream, the people who
you pay, along with a load of other people to get them to do IPv6.
If they don't and you still want it, go to another ISP.

Yes, that sounds harsh but it is that way. I have been kicking ISP's
for some time now and I don't have native IPv6 (!yet!) but it will
come, one day. Fortunatly I do have access to a rather good tunnelbroker
which I have been (ab)using for the last 3 years and I was able to
change my ISP in between which is also a good thing. And yes, I like
having a stable IP prefix for my own. But like you and anybody else
I am just a mere mortal, not a big ISP or organisation who have tons
of clientele and have the time to make and keep it working.

Maybe if you really want a 'portable block' you should signup with
one of the TLA owners and let them route, or tunnel, "your" block
directly to you. If you are big enough to play with the big people
they must allow you, otherwise too bad...

Btw, I must note that 'address space' is not a property. It always
is the 'property' of the RIRs, who in turn can be asked to give it
back to IANA. Not that something will happen quickly though ;)

Greets,
 Jeroen