[6bone] v6 and ADSL

Tina Strauf (JOIN Projekt Team) join@uni-muenster.de
24 Jul 2003 08:59:53 +0200

Of course, what you say is true. Once you have an IPv6 connection to one
client whithin your net either natively, by ISATAP, normal configured
IPv6-in-IPv4-tunnel or 6to4 you can do with that whatever you want and
even get (another) prefix routed through it for addressing the rest of
the machines in the network. The original ISATAP client would then have
to be configured as IPv6 default gateway for the rest of the hosts etc.
But afaik ISATAP was not especially designed for that purpose or
otherwise it would have included a (global) prefix being
delegated/assigned to the client as is the case with 6to4. Your idea
might also a bit hard to do or at least requires some additional
scripting, at least if the client on the dialed-in part of the net
obtains a different IPv4-address every time. You might have to set up
the static route for the prefix on each dial-up anew.

Cheers,

Tina Strauf

Am Mit, 2003-07-23 um 19.16 schrieb Fred Templin:
> I've been trying to get the word out on this, but perhaps it needs to be
> mentioned again. ISATAP can be used to connect a whole net; not just
> a single client as claimed below. For example, a residential gateway
> can configure an ISATAP client interface on it's link to the ISP and an
> ISATAP routing interface (and/or a native IPv6 routing interface) on
> it's link to the home network. The home network can have arbitrarily
> many clients; not just a single client.
>
> The only other requirement in this case is that the residential gateway
> procure a prefix delegation for advertisement on the home network.
> The delegation could come from the ISP (e.g., through DHCPv6
> prefix delegation) or through some fictitious provider-independent
> addressing scheme.
JOIN - IP Version 6 in the WiN  Tina Strauf
A DFN project                   Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet Muenster
http://www.join.uni-muenster.de Zentrum fuer Informationsverarbeitung
Team: join@uni-muenster.de      Roentgenstrasse 9-13
Priv: tstrauf@uni-muenster.de   D-48149 Muenster / Germany
GPG-/PGP-Key-ID: 923F61D0       Fon: +49 251 83 31833, Fax: +49 251 83
31653