[6bone] v6 and ADSL

Christian Strauf (JOIN) ipng@uni-muenster.de
23 Jul 2003 11:11:26 +0200

Hi Nir,

Am Mit, 2003-07-23 um 11.06 schrieb Nir Arad:
> If I understand ISATAP correctly, you need a globally unique /64 prefix.
> I assume Dan does not have one, and would want to rely on his (globally unique, dynamically assigned) IPv4 address.
> This IPv4 address can be used to form a 6to4 address, and connect to a 6to4 relay.
You need this /64 prefix for the server (not for the client) which then
assigns IP-addresses to ISATAP clients within this prefix. So in a way,
if Dan has access to an ISATAP-server, this would solve his problem.
It's probably not as easy a solution as 6to4 but I wanted to point out
this option. But it's incorrect that Dan himself needs his own /64
prefix. A provider or other entity that runs the ISATAP-server needs a
prefix.

> Now, assuming again, that Dan does not have a home network with private addresses behind his ADSL modem (but only one
> host), and since he needs 6to4 anyway, what would be the reasoning in using ISATAP in such configuration?
See above: the primary function of ISATAP is to connect one client, not
a whole net. Basically: ISATAP integrates single clients into a site
that has a certain prefix and advertises this prefix to connected
clients.

Cheers,
Christian

--
JOIN - IP Version 6 in the WiN  Christian Strauf
A DFN project                   Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster