[6bone] moving fast

Jørgen Hovland jorgen@hovland.cx
03 Jul 2003 02:49:33 +0200

On Tue, 2003-07-01 at 20:24, Todd T. Fries wrote:
> Yesterday I said I got off the phone with Networks Soltuions and thought this
> was another year I could not register an IPv6 dns server.
>
> Now, I'm on hold, on and off infact, with their advanced dns team, at
> the US number of 1-866-345-0330.
>
> They are capable of putting in an IPv6 address for a dns server that
> has an existing IPv4 address.  For example (as sent to the 6bone mailing
> list):
>
> 	whois -h whois.internic.net dot.ep.net
>
> Is most definately registered as a v4 and v6 dns server.
>
> If any of you out there are wanting to register an IPv6 address with
> your dns server for your domain, call the above number.  You may not
> get the same person I did, so you may need some patience while you
> explain to them the above information proves they can do it.
>
> I have raised the bar one notch, however, and requested not only
> ns0.fries.net and ns1.fries.net get an additional ip that happens to
> be IPv6, but I've also requested that ns6.fries.net get registered
> as a host with an IPv6 record _only_.
>
> This last bit may not be everyone's desire just yet, but I like to be
> forward thinking, and would like to push to have things ready when
> more and more do not need to register an IPv4 address to have a
> dns server.

Hi Todd
Have Networksolutions added your AAAA record ?
I remember Afrinic brought this up at ripe 44, but I guess thats not
quite the same.

Last year we emailed our registrar (it was not Network Solutions) a
couple of times about it, but they didnt understand what we asked for so
we just gave up.
This year we use Network Solutions, and we have emailed them a couple of
times too. First email recieved from them;

> To: customerservice@networksolutions.com
> Subject: REG1HST How do I switch ISPs or update my name servers?

They too didnt understand what we asked for. They actually told us to
contact our service provider to fix it (hey thats us).
After they tried offering us their "Advanced DNS Management" service,
the last response from them was

>Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 22:47:06 GMT
>
>Thank you for contacting Network Solutions.
>
>Upon review of our recent communications, it has become apparent that
>we may not be able to resolve this situation via e-mail.
>
>So that we may resolve this issue in an expedited manner, please call
>us 24 hours a day, at 1-888-642-9675 and a representative will be happy
>to help you. If you are calling from outside of the U.S. dial
>1-703-742-0914.
>
>Thank you for your patience.

Now, I have called Network Solutions before. It took me over 1 hour to
get my question through (it was non-ipv6 related), and I had to pay them
money to get a person that understood what I was talking about
(vip-support or something). Asking them for aaaa-records would probably
take thrice the time, and I will probably have to pay them again. I am
not going to do this if the answer is "no we cant add your v6 glue
record". I just mailed the dnssupport@-mail you gave. I hope the people
answering is not the same as customerservice@  :-) Please tell me when
they add your v6 record. Then I know that calling them will work.

Joergen Hovland