[6bone] Site addressing best practices?

Aron Silverton ajs@labs.mot.com
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 10:22:36 -0600

Michel,

Michel Py wrote:
>>Aron Silverton wrote:
>

>>Does anybody out there have a sample address plan or a document
>>on best practices for delegating IPv6 addresses within an ISP
>>or organization?
>

> Make sure you read:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipv6-ipaddressassign-06.t
> xt

Thanks, We are aware of that draft.

>>What have people found to be the best way to manage assignments
>>for loopbacks, PTP links, multiple subnets of hosts, etc?  I'll
>>probably stick with /64s for the PTPs as opposed to /126, /127,
>>or /112.
>

> /64s are the only way that complies with:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipngwg-addr-arch-v3-11.tx
> which is to replace RFC2373.

Correct.  Like I said, we too, are using /64.  Regardless of the draft,
many people still use something other than /64.

> Michel.

FWIW, we are using CAIRN's address plan adapted to fit our longer 6bone
pTLA.

I thought that I would ask this question on the list to generate
discussion based on what people have learned in practice, versus what is
printed in a draft on a possible method of assigning bits in an address.

I find it hard to believe that there is so little variance in what
people are doing in the case of POPs and end sites.

Thanks for the pointers all the same.

Aron

--
Aron J. Silverton