[6bone] Site addressing best practices?

Aron Silverton ajs@labs.mot.com
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 18:58:25 -0600

Does anybody out there have a sample address plan or a document on best
practices for delegating IPv6 addresses within an ISP or organization?

It looks as though I'm going to be doing some readdressing soon, and I'd
like to put a nice plan into place.  I'm not too terribly concerned with
how the bits are doled out - from the left, center, or right - as the
chances of having to grow a prefix are quite slim.  I'll probably end up
  not assigning them contiguously just to be sure.

What I am concerned with is how best to use addresses within the /48s
that I will assign.  This includes address assignments for our main site
and other internal sites some of which may be tunneled across IPv4 links.

What have people found to be the best way to manage assignments for
loopbacks, PTP links, multiple subnets of hosts, etc?  I'll probably
stick with /64s for the PTPs as opposed to /126, /127, or /112.

If I am being too general, let me know and I'll try to post some
specific questions.

Thanks,

Aron
--