[6bone] comments on draft-fink-6bone-phaseout-00

Pekka Savola pekkas@netcore.fi
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 09:26:01 +0200 (EET)

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, Bob Fink wrote:
> >The IANA MUST reclaim the
> >    3FFE::/16 prefix upon the date specified in 2.0, and MUST make
> >    provisions to set it aside from any other uses for a period of at
> >    least two years after this date to minimize confusion with its
> >    current use for the 6bone (e.g., thus allowing production IPv6
> >    networks to filter out the use of the 3FFE::/16 prefix for a
> >    reasonable time after the 6bone phaseout).
> >
> >==> I'm not sure about the second MUST.  Perhaps a SHOULD would do?  For
> >example, consider if someone specified a locator,identifier separation
> >mechanisms which would use two IPv6 addresses.  Identifiers would be from
> >3000::/4 and the rest would be as before.  The above wording as I read it
> >would prevent the allocation of 3000::/4.
>
> No, it only means 3ffe::/16 as it says, not anything shorter like 3000::/4.
> I can add the prefix again in the wording if you think it makes a difference.

Perhaps it should be spelled out.

> >    format, [TEST-OLD] was replaced with a new IPv6 testing address
> >    allocation"
> >
> >==> add the opening " somewhere
>
> Don't get what you mean.

I mean that you probably meant something like:

format, [TEST-OLD] was replaced with a new "IPv6 testing address
allocation"                               ^^^

> >    Regional Internet Registry (RIR), National Internet Registry, or
> >    Local Internet Registries (ISPs).
> >==> all LIR's aren't ISPs.
>
> Just referring to it the way the RIRs do. Should I just remove the ISP
> part, or elaborate?

Could just changing "ISPs" to "LIRs" do it?

Hmm.. upon further reading it seems new text would be required; let's
see..

   This plan for a 6bone phaseout specifies a multi-year phaseout
   timeline to allow sufficient time for continuing operation of the
   6bone, followed by a sufficient time for 6bone participants to
   convert to production IPv6 address prefixes allocated by the relevant
   Regional Internet Registry (RIR), National Internet Registry, or
   Local Internet Registries (ISPs).

the problem here is the word "allocated".  Soem 6bone participants would
be _assigned_ a prefix (or two) from a LIR.  So perhaps rewording like:

   This plan for a 6bone phaseout specifies a multi-year phaseout
   timeline to allow sufficient time for continuing operation of the
   6bone, followed by a sufficient time for 6bone participants to
   convert to production IPv6 address prefixes allocated by the relevant
   Regional Internet Registry (RIR).  Some may also obtain addresses via
   assignment from National Internet Registry, or Local Internet
   Registries (LIRs).