[6bone] MOTOROLA-LABS pTLA 3ffe:4002::/32

Aron Silverton ajs@labs.mot.com
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 11:27:01 -0600

6bone,

Per Bob Fink's request, I am updating the list as to the status of our
pTLA.  As of the afternoon (CST) of 1/15/2003, our pTLA is being
advertised via MREN to the 6tap.

It was not possible for us to advertise our pTLA prior to MREN and 6tap
putting the necessary agreements and connections in place.  This was not
completed until earlier in the week of 1/13/2003.

(You all may have noticed that MREN's own pTLA, 3ffe:1700::/24 is also
being advertised as of this week.)

While we are now advertising our pTLA, and continuing to provide
connectivity to internal organizations, we will be looking into other
arrangements in the future.  This is becoming necessary as resources
dwindle and our "day jobs" catch up with us.

As an Abilene customer who connects to I2 via MREN, we will be pursuing
other arrangements for 6bone and production address space in the future.
  Our plan, once MREN and Abilene have shuffled all of the paperwork, is
to aquire address space from Abilene's 6bone pTLA and productoin sTLA
via MREN.  (MREN is using the 3ffe:1700::/24 pTLA for non-Abilene member
institutions only.)  If we are successful in aquiring that address
space, we will voluntarily return our pTLA.  Until that time, we will
continue to use our current delegation per the guidelines established in
RFC 2772.

(For those interested in history, Motorola Laboratories become "6bone
ready" well before Abilene or MREN, but we still relied upon these
organizations for connectivity.  Catch-22.  The MREN pTLA was actually
Fermilab's at one point and was transitioned to MREN.  Prior to MREN and
Abilene coming to agreements, it is not possible for an MREN member
institution to get space from Abilene. Abilene refers us back to MREN.
We tried.  All is well now.)

Regards,

Aron
--