[6bone] 6bone phaseout planning announcement

Jeroen Massar jeroen@unfix.org
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 18:37:03 +0100

Daniel Roesen wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 08:05:38AM -0800, Bob Fink wrote:
> > If you are interested please read and comment:
> >
> >    <http://www.6bone.net/misc/draft-fink-6bone-phaseout-00.txt>
>
> This timeline sounds reasonable to me. Not too short and not too long,
> so keeps momentum.
>
> Perhaps a recommendation (or even requirement?) to start filtering
> 3FFE::/16 orlonger on 2006-07-01 would be a good idea, but might be
> unnecessary.

IMHO there should be no filtering for this space.
It should not be announced at all and if a packet is detected
the party sending out that packet should be <fill in punishment>.

Good reason for not filtering are:
 - If someone does use it it will show up in the various monitors.
 - It avoids having to remove the filters when IANA reassigns the space.

Especially the second part is usefull as, like seen now on some networks
who filter out certain ipv4 prefixes and 'forget' about the filters.

Greets,
 Jeroen