[6bone] 6bone phaseout planning announcement

Bob Fink bob@thefinks.com
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 09:05:47 -0800

At 05:42 PM 1/10/2003 +0100, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
>Hi Bob, all,
>
>After a quick read of the draft my thoughts are:
>
>1) I agree in the main aspects of the process, as we already discussed
>this some time ago.
>2) It seems to be that July 1st 2006 is reasonable for the final close-down.
>3) It seems to me that we must allocate pTLAs until January 1st 2006 (6
>months can still do a lot for "last minute" newcomers).
>4) I'm missing something that we discussed, relative to facilities from
>the RIRs to allocate production space to pTLA owners, let's
>say starting on July 1st 2004 (to facilitate the transition and encourage it).

As we said in the draft I don't want the phaseout plan to pre-dispose what
level a pTLA holder gravitates to in production prefix space. They may
rightly need to be at the top level, or some other level. It is a big can
of worms to pre-decide this, seems to me.

 From last paragraph of 2.0 in the draft
>"It should be noted that this RFC does not intend to imply that a
>    6bone prefix holder, whether at the pTLA top level or lower, should
>    seek a production IPv6 address prefix at any specific level. It may
>    be entirely reasonable for a 6bone prefix holder to seek a higher
>    level, or a lower level, IPv6 prefix as their specific needs dictate."

>I understand that this can kick-off the discussion at least for the dates,
>as you point in your email ;-) and hope is useful.

Thanks for the comments,

Bob