[6bone] 6bone phaseout planning announcement

Bob Fink bob@thefinks.com
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 08:05:38 -0800

6bone Folk,

The following draft has been submitted to the IETF ID directory, but hasn't
appeared yet, so I have placed it on the 6bone web site.

Bob Hinden and I, as co-authors (along with Jon Postel) of RFC 2471, which
allocated the 6bone's 3FFE::/16 testing prefix, have just co-authored an
I-D to establish a phaseout timeline and plan for the 6bone. We have done
this after various conversations about the future of the 6bone with various
folk in the 6bone, Internet and RIR communities. The sum of these
conversations has led us to believe that it time to start a 6bone phaseout
planning process. Note that, as stated below, the plan and dates are for
discussion. Nothing has been pre-determined or pre-decided by anyone.

The background, plan and proposed timeline of this are described in the
draft itself, which has just been released to the ID Directory. This
includes an explanation of why we believe this process should be done
within the IETF community. Note that it is expected that 6bone participants
will have a considerable part in this discussion, whether on the 6bone
list, an IETF list or an RIR list.

If you are interested please read and comment:

   <http://www.6bone.net/misc/draft-fink-6bone-phaseout-00.txt>

Note that the plan and dates stated in the draft are only for discussion.
It is now up to the IETF open process to establish the actual plan and timing.

Thanks,

Bob Fink
Bob Hinden