[6bone] trace to 192.88.99.1; .au v6 connectivity

Ross Finlayson finlayson@live.com
Tue, 07 Jan 2003 12:39:12 -0800

>Are there any other people here that would like to have my advertising the
>prefix at AMS-IX ?

Any additional 6to4 relays (using the default anycast address) would be
welcome, although it would be really nice to also have some of these
outside Europe!  Let's not forget that for those of us without our own ASs
(and who don't have an IPv6-capable ISP), 6to4 is the only good way that we
can get IPv6 connectivity.

I'm located in Silicon Valley (USA), and right now I'm using
"6to4.ipv6.microsoft.com" (2002:836b:213c:1:e0:8f08:f020:8) as my 6to4
router, because it's far closer to me, topologically, than any router
that's currently being advertised on the anycast address
(2002:c058:6301::).  But I hate having to 'hard-wire' in a 6to4 router
(especially one located at Microsoft :-); I really wish I could just use
the anycast address, and automatically get a router that's 'close' to me.

However, the real question to ask here is: Why are more 6to4 relays not
being advertised to the world using the default anycast address?  The
answer, presumably, is that there's no incentive for anyone to do
this!  What incentive does anyone have to provide a 6to4 relay (and, thus,
bandwidth) to outsiders?  With this in mind, can we ever expect public,
anycast 6to4 relays to become more widespread?

         Ross.