[6bone] trace to 192.88.99.1; .au v6 connectivity

Anand Kumria wildfire@progsoc.uts.edu.au
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 01:54:16 +1100

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 09:58:38PM +1000, Dan Reeder wrote:
> Hi people,
> Unless I am under the wrong impression completely, it is my understanding
> that 192.88.99.1 is the special 'anycast' address used for finding the
> nearest 2002:: 6to4 routing gateway.
>
> I've been doing some traces from various hosts here in .au and they all
> either end up at a host in Swizerland or a host in Finland. The thing is,
> I'm rather skeptical of the fact that these servers are the 'nearest' to
> Australia, BGP-speaking or otherwise.

Well, Optus's looking glass <URL: http://looking-glass.optus.net.au/>
(see also <URL: http://www.traceroute.org/>), reports that it knows no
routes towards 192.88.99.1 from it's domestic peers, only from it's
international peers.

As far as I recall, AARNet used to advertise that prefix but has not for
a long time.

> Any assistance you good folks could lend me in relation to this issue would
> be a great help. Is 6to4 connectivity even desired these days?
>
> Secondly, and primarily addressed to Aussies/Kiwis/Asians, I've also got a
> question with regards to the general IPv6 scene in Australia / Oceania at
> the moment. As far as I am aware there are zero tunnel brokers in this
> region,

Well, I've been operating one at ProgSoc for the past couple of months.
I had hoped to complete the web interface to my tunnel broking setup but
I've been ADSL issues since Monday.

If you email me off-list I can setup something in advance of the web
interface being available -- the tunnel endpoint is 138.25.6.14, so you
may to check the latency that has to you.

> let alone commercial entities actively offering and promoting
> customer v6 connectivity,

NTT Australia was/is running a trial; I'm not sure when they intend to
make it available as a standard service. Telstra has had an allocation
for a year but the noise near the watercooler is that they aren't happy
with the implementation their current router vendor provides.

> I mean, as I see it the nearest quality tunnel broker (in terms of latency)
> to me (Brisbane) is he.net's pop at Los Angeles!

sutekh.progsoc.uts.edu.au (138.25.6.14) should be a lot better, I hope
to announce something later this week -- time permitting.

Regards,
Anand

--
 `` We are shaped by our thoughts, we become what we think.
 When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never