[6bone] trace to 192.88.99.1; .au v6 connectivity

Dan Reeder dan@reeder.name
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 21:58:38 +1000

Hi people,
Unless I am under the wrong impression completely, it is my understanding
that 192.88.99.1 is the special 'anycast' address used for finding the
nearest 2002:: 6to4 routing gateway.

I've been doing some traces from various hosts here in .au and they all
either end up at a host in Swizerland or a host in Finland. The thing is,
I'm rather skeptical of the fact that these servers are the 'nearest' to
Australia, BGP-speaking or otherwise.

Any assistance you good folks could lend me in relation to this issue would
be a great help. Is 6to4 connectivity even desired these days?

Secondly, and primarily addressed to Aussies/Kiwis/Asians, I've also got a
question with regards to the general IPv6 scene in Australia / Oceania at
the moment. As far as I am aware there are zero tunnel brokers in this
region, let alone commercial entities actively offering and promoting
customer v6 connectivity, although personally I probably couldn't afford a
netblock were it offered for a fee.
I mean, as I see it the nearest quality tunnel broker (in terms of latency)
to me (Brisbane) is he.net's pop at Los Angeles!
I'm aware that Aarnet is on it's way to developing a rather decent
educationally-inclined ipv6 facility, and I can only hope they will open up
a public tunnel brokering service, however apart from them there seems to be
nobody here operating a relatively-domestic network yet, letalone an
organisation with decent trans-pacific connectivity.

So, how long do us aussies/oceanians have to put up with ordinarily 200ms+
first hops?

cheers and regards,
Dan Reeder
2001:470:1f00:510::/64