[6bone] Re: DAD scope ??

Brian Haberman bkhabs@nc.rr.com
Mon, 06 Jan 2003 14:17:36 -0500

Ole Troan wrote:
>>Each ipv6-over-foo doc discusses modifications to ND,
>>if necessary, for the particular link technology.  For
>>example, Section 5 of RFC 2023 (IPv6 over PPP) mentions
>>that DAD is redundant and needn't be run.
>

> my interpretation of IPv6 over PPP is different. DAD is redundant only
> for the link-local address, but needs to be run for all other
> addresses on the link.

The last sentence of the 2nd paragraph in Section 5 states:

      "Therefore it is recommended that for PPP links with
       the IPV6CP Interface-Token option enabled the default
       value of the DupAddrDetectTransmits autoconfiguration
       variable [3] be zero."

If DupAddrDetectTransmits is set to zero, then DAD is not run
on the interface since it is an interface variable.  The only
thing that implies that this only is for link-local addresses
is the title of the section.

Brian