[6bone] pTLA request by NECTEC-TH - review closes 10 March 2003

Philip Smith pfs@cisco.com
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 13:58:11 +1000

Hi Bob,

At 18:40 26/02/2003 -0800, Bob Fink wrote:
>Before I put a pTLA request out for review I ask the requester why they
>aren't getting a production prefix. Generally it boils down to wanting to
>try IPv6 services without committing to a production prefix, sometime for
>cost reasons, sometimes for organizational reasons.

I can see there being a cost implication for a non-RIR member, but for an
existing RIR member? I'm just wondering if the RIRs maybe need to do more
publicity to their membership about the availability of production v6 space
(I somehow doubt this), or, as I just mentioned to Bill, there is something
special about 3ffe::/16 which can't be satisfied by production space.

BTW, I am definitely not suggesting denying NECTEC their request, just
curious to understand what technical differences exist between 3ffe::/16
and 2001::/16 space which causes them as an APNIC member to not simply get
their space from APNIC. APNIC allows people to return production space (as
they do for IPv4 space), and production space can be used for trying things
out (as we know in IPv4-land).

philip