[6bone] IPv6 world costs

Pim van Pelt pim@ipng.nl
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 08:50:37 +0100

On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 04:44:52PM -0700, Colin Faber wrote:
| I'm also very interested in such numbers. Might I suggest to companies
| currently deploying IPv6 on their networks to factor in administrative
| costs along with hardware, software, and bandwidth.
The costs for my (medium-sized) ISP were negligable. We have decided to
roll out our latest generation network with Juniper boxes, which are
technically sound and financially not much more of a burdon.

IPv6 is still being deployed in overtime around here. Many engineers
spend their spare time running it, so factoring in costs are extremely
difficult.

Some of us at BIT write software .. and most of them are somewhat IPv6
aware in terms of getaddrinfo and protocol independent implementations.

I can't give an estimate at all what we spent 'on IPv6', but can tell
you that it has been a high-weight decisionmaking tool since
approximately March 2002. This means: if it does not do decent IPv6,
and some competitor does, we no longer buy it.

groet,
Pim
--
Pim van Pelt                 Email: pim@ipng.nl