[6bone] Setting up a machine for IPv6 ?

Jeroen Massar jeroen@unfix.org
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 22:11:26 +0100

Abhishek Karnik wrote:

> hi all,
> I have a router which I have configured for IPv6 and intend
> to set up a
> tunnel from the router elsewhere. This tunnel is mainly to
> connect to our
> internal subnet . I require to set up IPv6 on the machines on this
> internal subnet. Could someone please guide me on what kind
> of a set up
> will be required . I am pretty new at this . I plan on using
> SuSe Linux as
> of now .

* How do I configure my machine to setup the IPv6 in IPv4 tunnel to the
SixXS POP?
 http://www.sixxs.net/faq/?faq=ossetup

* How do I give connectivity to other hosts on my subnet?
 http://www.sixxs.net/faq/?faq=usingsubnet

Note that both of these ofcourse apply to any tunnelbroker system.
You prolly also want to read Peter's excelent Linux+IPv6 HOWTO
which can be found at: http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux+IPv6-HOWTO/
and ofcourse is also linked in those faq's.

> Would there be a preffered OS (FreeBSD or OpeBSD etc...) Also
> where can I find documentation on how to set up this machine for IPv6.

OS choices all depends on 'taste' mostly, I tend to pick the best OS
for that specific circumenstence. One good thing about variation is that
one can learn about it, which is also one of the goals of the 6bone ;)
*BSD, Solaris etc is also documented on the above URL's.

Greets,
 Jeroen