[6bone] ip6.arpa ...

Bill Manning bmanning@ISI.EDU
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 12:20:27 -0800 (PST)

% All this seems pretty unrelated to ip6.arpa delegation for
% 3ffe. Things like TSIG or IPv6 transport for zone transfer are nice to
% have, but to me as an uninitiated sound like bad excuses for still
% more delay, for reasons untold.

	as I stated these are gripes.  the nut of the issue is that
	RIPE is proposing to edit/change the zone data between
	the 3ffe:: delegations as seen from ip6.int  and ip6.arpa

	This is fatally flawed, as some folks will get one set of
	answers while others will get distinctly different answers
	to the same questions, based on the age of the resolver that
	is in their endsystems.

	the transition proposal I made has certain features as "checklist"
	items.  If you really don't care about IPv6 transport or zone
	transmission integrity, they can be excised.  And the simplist,
	fastest way to get e.f.f.3.ip6.arpa. out the door is to have
	the IANA delegate that point to -exactly- the same server
	suite that hosts the e.f.f.3.ip6.int delegation.  The RIRs
	will have none of that, for reasons that do not appear to
	be technical.

	the servers for ip6.int all have native IPv6 capability
	as well as IPv4 capability and have since 2000.

	Moving to the RIPE proposal looks like moving backward to
	me, in a number of respects.  I would really like to be
	persuaded that it really is an advancement.

% Robert

--bill