[6bone] ip6.arpa ...

Pim van Pelt pim@ipng.nl
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 17:30:49 +0100

| 	several issues raised at the last RIPE mtg w/ Andrei are:
| 	) zone consistancy.  the delegations in 3ffe should be
| 	  identical, regardless of the anchor point. the RIR
| 	  proposal is to have the data -differ- between the
| 	  two anchor points.  The proper way forward would be
| 	  to use $ORIGIN to anchor the same zone in two places.
| 	  The reason you need to do this is that there is nearly
| 	  a decade of deployed resolvers that will only look in
| 	  ip6.int for data and it will take a decade or more to
| 	  have those resolvers expire.
This is a good point, however it is not the only proper way. I
do not think there is any problem with converting the zonefile
to fit the ip6.arpa tree on a regular (daily) basis. We might
just be able to fix some lame delegations in the same run, but
that would be deliberately creating different zones though.

| 	) the zone transfers should be protected by TSIG. I have
| 	  not been able to successfully work with RIPE on getting
| 	  TSIGS in place.  I have been able to do so with both APNIC
| 	  and ARIN. I've not had dealings w/ LATNIC yet.
This is unnessecary.

| 	) IPv6 transport capability. ARIN does not have v6 capability.
| 	  RIPE has only sporadically supported v6 although I hope
| 	  the current efforts will be stable.  APNIC has had stable
| 	  v6 capability for several years now.  LATNIC has v6 experise
| 	  but I've not been able to get closure on their operational
| 	  stance.
This is unnessecary.

| 	) previous email to the 6bone list have suggested that
| 	  the same servers be used for both e.f.f.3.ip6.int and e.f.f.3.ip6.arpa
| 	  and I think this is a sound stratagy.
This is undesirable as 6BONE should not be administering servers
in the .arpa tree. It is also unnessecary.

|         Recognise that the data published for 3ffe:: should be identical
| 	regardless of anchorpoint.  Plan for an active migration plan
| 	from industry/user nameservers to RIR nameservers for this delegation,
| 	based on the capability of the RIRs to support native IPv6 and
| 	TSIG.
It can be identical with the RIPE proposal (copying the zone and
s/int\./arpa.) also.

I see no technical problems at all with implementing it that way.

groet,
Pim
--
Pim van Pelt                 Email: pim@ipng.nl