[6bone] curious indirect effect of the 6bone registry

Bob Fink bob@thefinks.com
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 12:48:43 -0800

6bone Folk,

For your info, and possible amusement, I have deleted the inet6num for
2002::/16 from the 6bone registry.

It is becoming common for a less experienced person to have a problem with
their IPv6 connection of some kind, look at either their own source or
remote ipv6 address and see the "6to4" address, and not understand what it
is all about. Then they look in the 6bone registry for the entire /128 2002
address and (previously) found my courtesy entry for 2002::/16. From there
they send me email as they believe I own the 2002 space. Sometimes it is
even a complaint that I am causing them troubles :-)

I think it is simpler to not list the 2002 prefix in the 6bone registry (it
was just for info anyway).

Bob