[6bone] winding down and returns?

David Kessens david@iprg.nokia.com
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 15:17:45 -0800

Antonio,

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 12:08:09PM -1000, Antonio Querubin wrote:

> Are there any other alternate registries for tracking BGP peering/tunnels
> between IPv6 networks?

Not yet, but Merit and the RIPE NCC are working on RPSLng which
should give you simular functionality (and some more).

> We use the RADB for IPv4 prefixes but it has no
> provision for handling IPv6 route objects as far as I can tell.  I think
> the 6bone registry still serves a useful purpose in this area for those of
> us peering with ASNs still using 6bone prefixes.

It's perfectly fine if you want to store tunnel information about
production prefixes in the 6bone database too. Nothing has been
decided so far when the registry will go away. At this point, I would
anticipate that we will keep running until at least the official end
of the 6bone and I guess we can decide close to that point whether it
still serves a purpose or whether it is time to retire. Nothing will
be done/changed without asking the community first.

I hope this helps,

David Kessens
---