[6bone] RE: Content of 6bone digest, Vol 1 #446

Douglas Wade Needham cinnion@ka8zrt.com
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 17:42:55 -0500

Quoting Pim van Pelt (pim@ipng.nl):
> Please refrain from sending HTML mail to this mailinglist. Many people
> cannot read that type of message.

I agree 1M percent.  I either have to bring up such a message as text
and try to puzzle my way through the excuse for HTML which most
programs like outlook or netscape create, or save it and fire up a
browser to look at it.  The only thing more inexcusable is sending
stuff from Micro$oft Orifice to a mailing list.

> As for the Pentagon saying 2008; Not the whole world follows American
> standards -- The far east and Europe are far ahead of the Americas when
> it comes to IPv6 deployment.
>
> Europe is kind of getting there. I've seen native BGP come to Holland
> for example, and now many respectable companies are treating IPv6 as a
> part of their network.

In a way, the US being the birthplace for the Internet has become a
major drawback.  There is quite a bit of equipment in North America
which must be updated to allow us to get IPv6 widely deployed, so I
think the Pentagon may unfortunately be correct. 8( Add to this the
fact that companies like MCI/UUNET and others spent quite a bit of
money for Y2K and do not want to turn around right now to spend more
on IPv6 to get things converted, and I think we may be 2010 or later
before IPv4 goes away in the backbone.  Makes for an interesting
conversation with my friends who are still working over at UUNET and
AOL.

- Doug

--
Douglas Wade Needham - KA8ZRT        UN*X Consultant & UW/BSD kernel programmer
Email:  cinnion @ ka8zrt . com       http://cinnion.ka8zrt.com