[6bone] Corporation wishing to get connected to the new v6 Internet

Matt.Carpenter@alticor.com Matt.Carpenter@alticor.com
Mon, 4 Aug 2003 17:24:32 -0400

--=_alternative 0075E8F685256D78_=

Thanks, Todd, for both emails.
I am looking at the he.net site right now and am considering scrapping the
freenet6 for a while as the he.net tunnel uses standard sit-tunnelling and
the freenet6 uses tsp.  he.net's documentation, while less complete, is a
little more friendly (like stating that the tunnel will not be available
for a couple days so I don't run myself in loops trying to connect :)

But they are both using the 6bone in some fashion, which I was under the
impression was going away...  freenet6 IS on the 6bone, and it looks like
he.net is mentioning being connected to the 6bone network, even though the
address space is 2001: (which, if I'm not mistaken, is NOT part of the
6bone address-space, correct?).  I still have yet to see what IPv6 network
I should use locally for either network, so I'm still sitting here with my
arms crossed (which can make typing difficult) twiddling my thumbs
waiting...

It is appearing that production IPv6 networks are currently mostly
disparate, funnels to the IPv4 Internet.  Is that correct?  And are there
a few that are big enough that would warrant creating tunnels to them
specifically so as to bring them together (eg. if I'm connected to the
he.net's network, also connecting to an IPv6 network in Asia (or
someplace) with a huge presence)?  Or are they pretty much their own
little world?

Thank you for the direction.  This is the type of information I was hoping
for.

DOH!  I take it back.  I've been allocated a prefix! <contented smile>
Well, that's for the test network.  Still so many unknowns, though :)
We'll see what fun that brings... and then possibly propose something to
the boss.

Thanks again,

Matt

"Todd T. Fries" <todd@fries.net>