[6bone] Corporation wishing to get connected to the new v6 Internet

Matt.Carpenter@alticor.com Matt.Carpenter@alticor.com
Mon, 4 Aug 2003 16:38:33 -0400

--=_alternative 0071B33585256D78_=

Thanks, Kurt!

We have not asked our ISPs about the service yet.  I'm trying to gather
information before even pushing my boss to consider it, and he would end
up being involved in the ISP conversation.  I'm attempting to have all my
ducks in a row before chatting with the decisionmakers, including
cost/value relationships for the various options of connectivity.
We aren't even looking to rollow out V6 internally until there is a
"customer need" that arises.  I'm trying to stay ahead of the curve and
bring up the important questions before crunch time, as well as possibly
get our network playing on the V6net beforehand.  But if I go to my boss
and ask him about paying our ISP for a service that our customers haven't
requested, he won't even consider what I'm trying to say.  If I go to him
with my ducks in a row, offering possibly free/cheap tunnelling to get our
feet wet, and the option to pay to secure our place on the new network,
he'll have something to chew on, at least long enough to delay the "no"
into a "not yet, but perhaps <something>....".

If the IPv4 and v6 networks touch, is each ISP a little v6 bubble or is
there one cohesive v6 network which is just invisible to the v4 world?
We are considered an ISP in the v4 world, although our customers are
typically affiliated with us in some way, and one of them is a major B2C
ecommerce site.  While we are interested in being a part of the new
network space, availability from the v4 Internet is key until it's death.
This may mean dual-address-spaces, I realize, but when you're selling
stuff you want to be available to as many pocketbooks as possible.  Thus,
if IPv4 is accessible from all and v6 is not, the impetus is to either
stick with v4 or do both.

Thank you for your fast response.  I look forward to hearing more, as well
as getting connected to the 6bone from my test net.

Matthew Carpenter
Alticor Network Services

Kurt Jaeger <lists@complx.LF.net>
08/04/2003 04:06 PM