[6bone] 6bone] List of IPv6 compatible Windows programs? Degree of support in the most popular Linux distributions?

Jeroen Massar jeroen@unfix.org
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 17:09:00 +0100

Michael Kjorling wrote:

> On Oct 31 2002 16:03 +0100, Jeroen Massar wrote:
>
> > [::] are out in anything XP/.Net on Windows. There is an
> RFC about this,
> > but I am not sure which.
> > Hosts should be addressed by there hostname, not by IP.

<SNIP>

> I have learned that hosts should, for convinience, be addressed by a
> host name, most commonly found in the DNS. If there is no such name,
> or that this for some other reason is not practical or even usable, IP
> addresses (both IPv4 and IPv6) are just as valid. IP works with
> addresses, not host names.
>
> Since when is using IP addresses to reference hosts deprecated? Does
> anyone have any idea what RFC Jeroen is talking about, or maybe you
> remember the first two digits of the number Jeroen? (Just to get the
> general idea about where to look.)
>
> Or did I misunderstand what you wrote?

Referencing machines by IP is not deprecated (ofcourse not ;),
using IP's for public access devices is. For example putting a:
(not).

Check the discussion we had on the ipng list:
http://www.wcug.wwu.edu/lists/ipng/200111/msg00024.html

Greets,
 Jeroen

PS: http://images.ucomics.com/comics/ft/2002/ft021031.gif
No offense to MS by the way :) - Happy Halloween!