[6bone] Who respect RFC2772 ?

Jeroen Massar jeroen@unfix.org
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 15:42:56 +0100

Nicolas DEFFAYET wrote:

Here is your favourite funny person again, with some positive thoughts
for you:

> RFC2772: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2772.txt
>

> I will show the real status of the 6bone in this mails.
>
> => Who respect RFC2772 ?
>
> Not a lot of people.

Thanks for pointing these things out Nico, even though you made a small
glitch:
Not a lot of _companies_ respect RFC2772.

People shouldn't even have a pTLA (unless that really is a personalTLA).

And we really should clean that mess up.

We should also really be looking into:
http://www.netcore.fi/pekkas/ietf/draft-savola-v6ops-6bone-mess-00.txt
Instead of pointing fingers.

Bad routing practises are not good for the 'image' of IPv6 and not good
for the network at all. Adding another bad site to the routing mess will
only make it worse.
We might consider first to clean up the mess and then start accepting
new pTLA's
before it really runs into havoc and we can't get out of it anymore.

> In this mails, you will see that a lot of pTLA (and 6bone sites) don't
> respect RFC2772.
>
> Any comments are welcome about this.
>

> 6bone is open for do experiments or is closed ?

Afaik currently it is still open for experiments, at least that is what
most people are doing with it. RIR allocations* are catching on and are
more and more commonly being used for productional IPv6.
That's all up to Bob.

* = http://www.ripe.net/ipv6/ipv6allocs.html

> NDSoftware respect this RFC since 17 January 2001, and the NDSoftware
> pTLA request is fully compliant with this RFC.

Check the large thread about your request, this is not true Nico and you
know that.

> Why NDSoftware can't get a pTLA ?
> Is it because many people are jealous ?

If you did actually read what Bob wrote:
http://mailman.isi.edu/pipermail/6bone/2002-October/006595.html
8<-------------------
Thus in the spirit of trying to come up with a solution that will gain
consensus, I have decided to create an ad hoc pTLA review group of 5
people
to review this request, arrive at a decision, and then summarize the
issues
for the 6bone list
<SNIP>
So, I promise to have a result for you by the end of next week, 8
November.
------------------->8

You aren't turned down completely *YET*.
Starting to flame and point fingers won't be a thing for a good cause
though.

Instead of concentrating on how to get people not get a new pTLA we just
could
concentrate all that energy on making the 6bone clean again.

> 6bone community want see many IPv6 projects die because
> NDSoftware can't provide to them IPv6 address ?

ATI has a sTLA (http://www.ripe.net/perl/whois?TN-ATI-20021024)

NGC could be part of Internet2
IPv6-FR is apparently just only NDSoftware

NDSoftware doesn't have any other customers and isn't fisher^Wenterprise
sized.
if it where it could request a sTLA also.

And you are currently running quite well (if I take your words) with
those 3 /32's you already have, so it won't die.

So don't claim that Nico ;)

Greets,
 Jeroen