[6bone] pTLA request NDSOFTWARE - change of review date to 30 October 2002

Scott Prader gnea@garson.org
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 00:07:17 -0500

Hello everyone, while I have remained subdued in my responses to the
issues surrounding the request of a pTLA for NDSOFTWARE, this does not
mean that I haven't been paying attention.  While I do not personally
have a pTLA/sTLA, I do, for the most part, understand the importance
behind implementing something as gradious(sp?) as this.  Hence why I
stick with my freenet6 tunnel and manage my own dns until I can get the
proper funding/setup to host a stable pTLA/sTLA. :)  But I digress, the
suggestion issued forth by Sascha is, by far, the most intelligent
response I have seen thus far on the issue and I would just like to add
my own two cents and second the motion.  Let Nic have the pTLA for a
month and see what happens.  If he flops, he loses it.  If he gets it
all straightened out, then all's good.  While I do not agree with his
mannerism (nor the mannerisms of others who contributed to the
degregation which has occurred on this list as of late) I am thankful
(as I am sure many of you are) that there exists some people who take
the time to think things out logically.  While NDSOFTWARE appears to be
a relatively inexperienced concept, it has the potential to do quite a
bit of good, despite its shortcomings.  I say give him the chance and
see what happens.  Those who aren't in favour of the decision can bite
their nails for a month while NDSOFTWARE fixes its bugs.  If a roach is
left then burn it. :)

* Sascha Bielski (sb@rdns.de) cobbled forth:
> Dear Laurent Mele, dear 6bone folks,
>
> > This should be great !
> > We are now 31 october. May 6bone folks take a decision and finish this flame ?
> > This is looks like a "Burn the witch" monty python's powered thread ! We are now over a hundred mail for this.
>
> I've got a simple idea. For now, we have a "review" phase of two
> weeks. There should be another test-phase (maybe a month?), with
> already allocated pTLA. After that month, the 6bone folk should decide
> to keep that new pTLA or to delete it. Then we could see if One is
> using this pTLA in the right way. If not, just take that pTLA back.
> The right example would be NDSOFTWARE. Let's give a pTLA to NDSOFTWARE
> for a test-month. If all is going right (no DMZ pollution from
> NDSOFTWARE e.g.) let him keep his pTLA. I think with this solution we
> can be satisfied. And no more flames ;-)
>
> -> two weeks review
> -> if no "serious" problems like private ASN or unallocated ASN give
> "test-pTLA" for a month.
> -> after the month another short review "good or not. keep or delete"
>
> Comments are welcome.

         .oO Gnea [gnea at garson dot org] Oo.
            .oO url [http://gnea.net] Oo.

"You can tune a filesystem, but you can't tune a fish." -Kirk McKusick