[6bone] source-based routing

Christoph Schneeberger cschnee@box.telemedia.ch
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 09:23:00 +0100

Pim van Pelt wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 10:12:53PM +0100, Andree Toonk wrote:
> | Hi everyone,
> |
> | I´ve got 2 connections to the 6bone (2 ipv6 in ipv4 tunnels).
> | This host acts like a router for other ipv6 hosts in my network.
> |
> | I would like to implement source-based routing on this host.
> | So that the correct packets go to the correct tunnel.
> | This router-host is a linux (debian) system, with kernel 2.4.18.
> | Is there software available which can perform this?
> No.
>
> | In Ipv4 I could use the iproute2 package, but I´m not sure if this
> | supports source-based routing in ipv6.
> | Are there alternative software packages for source-based routing in Linux?
> No.
>
> (and I don't know any unix OS that implements IPv6 source based (or other
> policy based) routing). Does anyone else have a clue here ?
>
> My closest bet would be pf in the OpenBSD-current scene.

FWIW, OpenBSD 3.2 with pf  (to be released on 1st Nov.) does this with ipv4, but
I haven't tested it with ipv6 yet.

See  pf.conf man page at
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=pf.conf&sektion=5&arch=i386&apropos=0&manpath=OpenBSD+Current

the section that will be most interesting for you is ROUTING. As mentioned I
haven't used it with ipv6 yet.
The route-to command is already present in 3.1 but I am unsure if this does
actually work with ipv6.

HTH,
Christoph Schneeberger
SCS TeleMedia AG