[6bone] Re: pTLA request NDSOFTWARE - review closes 23 October 2002

Abdul Basit basit@basit.cc
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 13:11:01 -0500 (CDT)

Hello folks@6bone ,

 I like to favour Mr Deffayet on his pTLA request, I am speaking on behalf
of NextGenCollective (NGC), NGC is a reasearch organization that provides
ipv6 tunnels to over 150 users , We have NDSOFTWARE as our ipv6
upstream. NGC is housed at WSU (Wichita state university), USA, As a
matter of fact, in very begining , we were unable to find any support
of ipv6 , it was Mr Deffayet who helped us a lot, so its wrong to say that
he is an offensive person, I see him working almost all the time
supporting his customers.  and not to mention NDSOFTWARE does supports
many research based ipv6 projects, NGC, and IPng are one of them.
and NGC in turns plan to deploy IPv6 on whole WSU network infrastructure.
We also plan to tunnel with KU and KSU in cojunction with HiPECC
(http://www.hipecc.twsu.edu) Internet2 project at WSU. Even we are
analyzing the feasibility of deploying IPv6 on laptops issued to students.
NGC is also providing IPSec tunnels to those who wants with dynamic updates.
We are also planning to look for feasbility for establishing a mobile
cluster using ipv6.
http://www.linuxsymposium.org/2002/view_txt.php?text=abstract&talk=36

 As a matter of fact, being on irc is fun, you meet nice persons
and get help, it always the case with me.  On the other hand, persons
working in cisco, motorolla, Nokia are of no real help, I tried to contact
some persons in Nokia (listed at http://www.nokia.com/ipv6/ ) several
times , no reply i got, but if i email Mr Deffayet for some question or
ask for some support, i usually get reply on the same day. I give credit
to Mr Deffayet of what is  currently being done under NGC as he is the one
who is supporting that research work. I beleive NOKIA , cisco and other
BIG giants don't support IPv6 work at universities that much that
NDSOFTWARE is trying to do.

 My opinion is , if NDSOFTWARE's request is fully RFC2772 compliant,
there should be no objection of approving its pTLA 's request, or
ppl who are against it should provide strong reasons in terms of RFC2772
to oppose the request. Its not ONLY the right of BIG organizations
(like Nokia, Cisco etc) to become pTLA, other relatively small
organization can serve as a pTLA 's also if they obey the rules
stated in RFC. We should encourage all.

- basit
Graduate Student
MS Computer Science