[6bone] Re: sTLA alloc policies (fwd)

David Kessens david@IPRG.nokia.com
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 15:57:37 -0700

Pekka,

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 09:24:13AM +0300, ext Pekka Savola wrote:

> I wonder what interpretation of "other organizations" is used when RIPE
> NCC evaluates the applications..?

Ask the RIPE NCC, fill in an application yourself, ask other people
how they qualified (that's why some smart people hire a consult with
experience with this kind applications to help them out).

so don't spread rumors about us coloring the truth while you have no
proof of any wrongdoing.

> > We got our address space under the old rules.
>
> Ah, I didn't notice this.

again, please check the facts before you send a mail.

> > Despite this, it really
> > shouldn't be too hard for any large multinational company to show
> > plans for assigning address space to 200 other organizations. No need
> > to color the truth at all.
>
> You must be using some other definition of other organizations than I do.
> Further, I don't believe there are even 200 countries out there. :-)
>
> Let's see.  Extending your interpretation any company with 200 employees
> could be entitled to a block: they _do_ want to provide xDSL service and
> proper addresses to their employees (who are private users) using the
> recommended /48 assignment!

No. No. No!

I didn't say that 'other organizations' are equal to one employee. You
are making that up in your own fantasy world.

You seem to be living in a very simple world. Do you have any idea how
multi-national organizations work ?!? They have partnerships, joint
ventures, cooperations with other organizations, are member of
associations, support non-profit organizations, are part of standards
bodies etc.. Many of these organizations are not owned or operated in
any kind of way by the multi-national organization and still the
multi-national organization can provide ip addresses and connectivity
to such 'other organizations'.

David K.
PS also, instead of suggesting there might not be 200 countries, you
   could have done some more research:
   the UN has 191 memberstates.
   the number of countries in the world is close to this number,
   depending on your definition of what constitutes a country.
   So you are correct that there are less than 200 countries, but
   it is close enough to 200 that it really doesn't help you.
---