[6bone] Re: IPv6-only IXP's are absolutely wrong

Gert Doering gert@space.net
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 09:33:55 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 02:09:18PM -0700, Bill Manning wrote:
> % We actually had a separate v6 VLAN for a number of years and concluded that
> % it was not a problem at all to use both protocols in the same VLAN. The
> % benefit of doing that is that members can use dual stack routers which is
> % exactly what most v6 enabled IXPs do.
>
> 	Again, YMMV.  Two of my native v6 peers refuse to use their native
> 	v4 boxes because of the performance hit.  That and something about
> 	using EFT/beta code in production boxes. :)

On the DECIX, we have a number of participants with Junipers, who do v4+v6
on the same box, and a number of Cisco users, who have separate boxes for
v4 and v6 connectivity.

We are using one VLAN for both, so the Juniper people can save the second
port / second router.

> 	Not saying that these issues can't be worked around. Its that there
> 	are real issues here and for somefolks, it may justify an independent
> 	fabric.  For others, a separate VLAN will work and for others there
> 	is no problem with dumping all the traffic on the same media.

Thanks for your insights, though.  We haven't seen any problems yet, but
will closely monitor those issues.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  48282  (47686)

SpaceNet AG                 Mail: netmaster@Space.Net
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14   Tel : +49-89-32356-0
80807 Muenchen              Fax : +49-89-32356-299