[6bone] pTLA request NDSOFTWARE - review closes 23 October 2002

Pim van Pelt pim@ipng.nl
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 10:27:34 +0200

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 10:21:33AM +0200, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
| On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 10:14:45PM +0200,
|  Pim van Pelt <pim@ipng.nl> wrote
|  a message of 76 lines which said:

| > where Nicolas complained in this public forum about the fact that the
| > NCC did not grant him an AS number request.
|
| RIPE-NCC gave a stupid reply ("you do not need an AS number for IPv6")
| and fixed the mistake afterwards with apologies. In that case, it was
| not Nicolas' fault.
Stephane,

To be frank: the answer was not stupid, nor was there a need to
appologise for it. To run IPv6, one does not need an AS number. One
needs a machine which supports the protocol.

I know of several hundreds of companies and individuals, even ISPs, who
are connected to the internet in another autonomous system. I am not
quite sure on the policies of AS number allocation at the RIPE NCC, but
I am quite sure that to be eligible for an AS number, one must operate
an autonomous system.

Nevertheless, DEFFAYET is (still) and enduser. Complaining in public
fora is his right (perogative :), but it is not his place to deal with
these matters: his LIR should act on his behalf. I think RIPE NCC should
stick to dealing with their members, not their members' customers.

Anyway, I wish DEFFAYET good luck with deploying his ISP solution and
with his software and webdesign company as well (no pun intended).

groet,
Pim

--
Pim van Pelt                 Email: pim@ipng.nl