[6bone] pTLA request NDSOFTWARE - review closes 23 October 2002

Jeroen Massar jeroen@unfix.org
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 00:30:19 +0200

Tim Chown wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 10:49:50PM +0200, Jeroen Massar wrote:
> >
> > I do want to see the ability for an IXP to get address space that is
> > routable. Which is why I mentioned the AMS-IX case, which is a
> > "non-profit, neutral and independent association" and thus
> can't rely on
> > other peoples
> > IP space. The shared medium can run only on the /48, but
> the services
> > provided (website, lookingglasses etc) can't. AMS-IX has major
> > difficulties
> > getting that space. Notez bien that even RIPE can't request
> space from
> > thereselves as they are not a LIR. Odd rules in a odd world.
>
> Euro6IX has a pTLA, to allow customer allocation of addresses from its
> address space.    Euro6IX is not an LIR, nor even a legal entity.

AMS-IX also has a pTLA:
8<---------------
inet6num:     3FFE:3000::/24
netname:      AMS-IX
descr:        pTLA delegation for the 6bone

But a pTLA is experimental, IX's are (hopefully :) productional,
which is why they need/want to have sTLA's.

Also note that looking at:
http://www.euro6ix.org/ingles/partners/partners.php
makes Euro6IX much more a legal entity than anything "NDSoftware" is
doing.

Greets,
 Jeroen