[6bone] RIPE and IPv6 ASN

Nicolas DEFFAYET nicolas.deffayet@ndsoftware.net
15 Oct 2002 15:35:37 +0200

Hello,

Disclaimer:
I hide sensitive information (ASN, company name,...).
Flames & co > /dev/null

RIPE are welcome to contact me because i don't find contact except the
registration contact for members only.

My company have an operational ipv6-site since 17 january 2001 on 6bone
(http://whois.6bone.net/cgi-bin/whois?NDSOFTWARE).
We made a lot of tests with our IPv6 experimental network and we provide
IPv6 connectivity to many IPv6 projects. We do BGP peering with a
private ASN (we announce only our routes with community no-export if the
peer accept it and use correct filter) because we don't have our ASN.

Now, we will build a real IPv6 network (native peering, peering with
other ISP on Internet Exchange,...). My company created the first french
IPv6 Internet Exchange, FNIX6 (http://www.fnix6.net) but my company
can't peer on FNIX6 becase we don't have public ASN.

Yesterday, i sent my ASN request to the RIPE by my LIR (peer1):

--------------------------------------------------------------------->

#[ANNOUNCED ADDRESS RANGES]#
<obscured-ipv6-/32>

#[PEERING CONTACTS]#
<obscured-peer1-email>
<obscured-peer2-email>

#[AUT-NUM TEMPLATE]#
aut-num: NEW
as-name: NDSOFTWARE-AS
descr: NDSoftware IP Network
import: from AS<obscured-peer1-as>
action pref=100;
accept ANY
import: from AS<obscured-peer2-as>
action pref=100;
accept ANY
export: to AS<obscured-peer1-as>
announce NEW
export: to AS<obscured-peer2-as>
announce NEW
remarks: Network problems to: noc@ndsoftwarenet.com
remarks: Peering requests to: peering@ndsoftwarenet.com
remarks: Abuse notifications to: abuse@ndsoftwarenet.com
remarks: NDSoftware have an open peering policy.
admin-c: AUTO-1
tech-c: AUTO-1
notify: notify@ndsoftwarenet.com
mnt-by: NDSOFTWARE-MNT
changed: hostmaster@ripe.net
source: RIPE

#[MAINTAINER TEMPLATE]#
mntner: NDSOFTWARE-MNT
descr: NDSoftware IP Network
admin-c: AUTO-1
tech-c: AUTO-1
upd-to: ipmaster@ndsoftwarenet.com
mnt-nfy: notify@ndsoftwarenet.com
auth: MD5-PW $1$uAUWFve7$aPxYj8kqY4sCqr7g7fL6J/
notify: notify@ndsoftwarenet.com
mnt-by: NDSOFTWARE-MNT
referral-by: RIPE-DBM-MNT
changed: hostmaster@ripe.net
source: RIPE

#[PERSON TEMPLATE]#
person: Nicolas DEFFAYET
address: NDSoftware
address: 57 rue du president Wilson
address: 92300 Levallois-Perret
address: France
phone: +33 671887502
e-mail: nicolas.deffayet@ndsoftware.net
nic-hdl: AUTO-1
notify: notify@ndsoftwarenet.com
mnt-by: NDSOFTWARE-MNT
changed: nicolas.deffayet@ndsoftware.net
source: RIPE

#[ADDITIONAL INFORMATION]#.
We request a pTLA to 6bone as soon we get our ASN.
We are the founder of FNIX6 (French National Internet Exchange IPv6).
We provide IPv6 transit to many projects.

#[TEMPLATE END]#

--------------------------------------------------------------------->

Reply of RIPE:

--------------------------------------------------------------------->

Thank you for your request for an AS number, but with IPv6 you do not
need to
use any AS numbers nor route objects.

Please have a look at the IPv6 documentation at the following link:
http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ipv6.html

Very stupid reply, for do BGP peering, request a pTLA to 6bone and peer
on FNIX6, we need a public ASN.

There isn't IPv6 documentation for ASN on
http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ipv6.html

=> How get an ASN for our new IPv6 network ?
(we don't want do IPv4 network)

Thanks

Best Regards,

Nicolas DEFFAYET