[6bone] .NET RC1 IPv6 6to4

Pekka Savola pekkas@netcore.fi
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 18:35:10 +0300 (EEST)

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Matthew Lehman wrote:
> It's a holdover from the original research stack.  However it doesn't
> work quite like you've detailed.  When the 6to4 auto-tunneling interface
> comes up, it attempts to discover 6to4 relays via a DNS lookup to
> 6to4.ipv6.microsoft.com.  If you lookup that record it resolves to the
> MS relay (131.107.33.60) and the 6to4 anycast address.  It attempts to
> ping the v4 addresses that are returned.  If you want to override this
> behavior, you can set the relay manually:
>
> netsh interface ipv6 6to4 set relay <preferred relay> enabled
> <resolution interval in min.>

Has that behaviour been changed lately?  At least Windows 2000 and Windows
XP "operate" in a completely interoperable manner.  We have tcpdumps to
prove that.

FWIW, in our environment, we are using 192.88.99.1, and our relay does
*not* have 2002:192.88.99.1::192.168.88.99.1 (ie:
2002:c058:6301::c058:6301) configured.