[6bone] tunnel to 6bone?

Ken Pohniman kenpohniman@yahoo.com
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 20:17:37 +0800

To provide ipv6 connectivity to 6bone, you can use the following
methods:

Method1:
Ipv6hosts---6to4router---(internet)---6to4relay---(6bone)
The router will be configured with 6to4, and advertise the 6to4 prefix
(depending on the router's public v4 address), to the v6 hosts. For the
hosts to connect to a 6to4 address (eg. 2002:...) in 6bone, the router
will perform 6to4 tunneling to the destination. However, to access a
global ipv6 address (eg. 2001:...), you'll also need to add a default v6
route on the router, pointing to the 6to4relay router (eg.
::/192.88.99.1).

Method2:
Ipv6hosts---(internet)---6to4relay---(6bone)
You can treat the MS XP host like a router, and configure 6to4 and the
necessary routing similar to method 1. Seems that with XP service pack
1, XP will automatically configure itself whenever it gets a public ipv4
address. When you do a ping6 (eg. Ping6 www.kame.net), you should be
able to get an ipv6 reply.

Regards,
Ken