[6bone] Re: RFC 2772 input from RIR space holder

Robert Kiessling Robert.Kiessling@de.easynet.net
21 Nov 2002 18:14:22 +0000

Petr Baudis <pasky@pasky.ji.cz> writes:

>   Basically, Jan's proposal is like: the distribution of the prefixes does not
> need to change fundamentally, the only change required is in 6bone -> RIRs
> connections. In such passages, 6bone sites MUST NOT announce prefix 2001::/16
> nor any more specific prefixes matching this prefix, and RIR sites MUST filter
> any such prefixes.

That's an interesting proposal.

However, I see one major disadvantage: The protection breaks down if
only one of the connections between RIR and 6bone is not filtered.

The "6bone sites don't exchange 2001::/16" model looks more robust in
this respect.

How would dual sites be handled? Would they count as "RIR" in this
respect, i.e. they must filter RIR space from peerings with other
6bone (or dual) sites?

One question which came to my mind: can this filtering be verified,
e.g. by looking glasses?

I think yes. Take BGP views from RIR sites and have a look at the AS
paths for all 2001::/16 prefixes. If filtering is set up correctly,
such AS paths may not contain any AS which is known to the 6bone
whois, with the possible exception of first and last ASN for
dual-RIR-and-6bone sites. Right?

> it would be
> probably nice not to prolong such flames and thus not to reply to such emails.)

I very much second this.

Robert