[6bone] RFC 2772 input from RIR space holder

Michael Kjorling michael@kjorling.com
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 17:30:13 +0100 (CET)

On Nov 21 2002 16:49 +0100, Nicolas DEFFAYET wrote:

> > It basically give us the chance to make a quality production IPv6
> > network AND still be able to do experimental stuff on 6bone without
> > impact on each other. it also give us (RIR) the chance to guaranty
> > routing in RIR space, or to say it as manager:
> >
> > "we can provide production quality on our IPv6 network"
>
> You will guaranty routing over tunnel ?
> Tunnels offer bad and random performance.
> You can own your fiber, control your IPv4 network, but you will have
> always the tunnel encapsulation.
>
> For provide a real production quality, you must have a native IPv6
> network without tunnels.
>
> Cut 6bone and RIR will be beneficial only if RIR have a lot of native
> links and very little tunnels.

Sorry Nicolas, I don't see how you are reasoning here.

When Richard talks about "our IPv6 network" the way I read it is as in "our
native IPv6-on-the-link-layer network".

When there are only a few providers that provide IPv6 services, tunnels
might be the only option to get IPv6 connectivity _at all_. It is not a
great solution, but it certainly is better for those who wish to learn about
IPv6 than having no connectivity at all.

Actually, the suggestion of creating separate networks for 6bone and RIR
space seems pretty reasonable to me. Those who are getting their IPv6 uplink
from someone who is running on 6bone space will probably know about that,
and as I think it is safe to assume that most commercial sites will be on
RIR space, this will prompt a migration from 6bone towards RIR space based
on round trip times, and in extension site access times. Plus, it will
create a separate network, experimental in nature, where people are able to
experiment. If they find out after 15 minutes that they somehow leaked a bad
route, well, at least it hasn't affected commercial services. As for those
who are running RIR space IPv6 routers, demand that they learn the necessary
skills before assigning them the job of handling the IPv6 routers. Who would
give someone without adequate knowledge the authority to handle IPv4
routers, and in particular routers facing the Interent? This is no
different.

Michael Kjörling

- --
Michael Kjörling  --  Programmer/Network administrator  ^..^
Internet: michael@kjorling.com - Amateur Radio: SMØYBY   \/
PGP: 95f1 074d 336d f8f0 f297 6a5b 2aa3 7bfd 8a70 e33e