[6bone] RFC2772 rewrite -- bigger scope goals

Gert Doering gert@space.net
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 15:13:45 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 10:03:24PM +0200, Pekka Savola wrote:
> The next question would be whether we want to keep 6bone de-facto free and
> open, and a "big mess", or try to do something about it.  Views differ on
> this one; the options are basically (I hope I didn't miss any):
>  1) keep 6bone routing as it is, build totally separate competing v6
> Internet for "production"
>  2) try to move 6bone-style routing off to the edges of the network
>     a) try to clean up the current mess, or
>     b) prevent any further mess in new-pTLA rules
>  3) kill 6bone

I like Robert's approach.

Keep the 6bone for whatever experiments people want to do, but make sure
that no transit of non-6bone-space goes through 6bone sites.

2001::/16 people have their own stability issues, but as those are all
commercial entities, I assume more interest in stabilizing IPv6 routing
over here (I'm part of the 2001:: mess).  The commercial world has their
own mechanisms to clean up "bad routing" - like bad RTTs, packet loss,
occasional unreachabilites due to routing loops, and so on.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  49875 (48540)

SpaceNet AG                 Mail: netmaster@Space.Net
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14   Tel : +49-89-32356-0
80807 Muenchen              Fax : +49-89-32356-299