[6bone] RFC2772 rewrite -- bigger scope goals

Bob Fink fink@es.net
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 19:04:23 -0800

Robert,

At 09:36 PM 11/14/2002 +0000, Robert Kiessling wrote:
>Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi> writes:
>
> >  3) kill 6bone
>
>Surely this will result in much flaming. Maybe it would help to first
>think about the concrete effects this would have.
>
>1. Which current services are provided in 3FFE space which cannot
>    feasibly move to RIR space?
>
>2. Apart from services provided to the public, which other effects
>    would it have to put a timeout on current allocations?
>
>3. Which future developments are hindered if 6bone allocations were
>    not available?
>
>Or more generally:
>
>What are 6bones goals today?
>
>Do we still need a "testbed to assist in the evolution and deployment
>of IPv6?"
>
>I would argue that "deployment" in the sense of "provide address space
>to use IPv6" should no longer be considered part of 6bone's mission.
>RIRs now provide this part. Practically 6bone is in direct competition
>with RIRs here, providing a different set of criteria, essentially:
>
>- RIR: LIR fees & 200 potential customers
>- 6bone: wait 6 months
>
>So what is the concrete benefit of having this cost-free alternative
>to RIR allocations?

Primarily for sites and networks that want to try out v6, yet cannot
allocate money for production service. We are not in production with v6
today in most parts of the world, by which I mean production code that just
works using v6 without special effort.

I would say that we are seeing this scenario, i.e., near cost-free trials
of v6, more than any other.

Thanks,

Bob