[6bone] RFC2772 rewrite

Pim van Pelt pim@ipng.nl
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 18:59:50 +0100

| Thus we would like to call for ideas/suggestions/issues for the rewrite.
| Please send your comments to the list, or to one of the panel folk if you
| want to comment privately.
See below.

| Also, if it would be useful to have an ad hoc 6bone meeting in Atlanta,
| please let us know. Although I will not be at this IETF, someone else from
| the panel could lead the discussion.

I'm sorry to say that I do not frequently travel outside of the European
continent, but shall we have a discussion at the upcoming RIPE meeting
in Amsterdam, early 2003 ? We can take some coffeetime and get together.

Regarding the 2772 rewrite, here's what comes to mind:
* Should we have an upper bound in time in which one can operate a pTLA ?
This will then stress the experimental nature of the allocation.

* Should we have people running a pTLA next to their RIR space return
their allocation to 6BONE ?

* I think we should verify the existance of a founded company that will
be the holder of the allocation. This might come in handy when/if we
have a doubtful indivudual/company requesting space. I do not support
individuals having globally routable IPv6 space.

* Should there be any form of Common Sense Peering, eg recommendations
for filtering and tunneling.

* Should we seperate the 6BONE cloud from the production IPv6 cloud ? This
is not really an RFC2772 issue, but does come to mind.

While the Netherlands is getting more and more IPv6 aware (20 or so commercial
entities out of 140 at AMS-IX are connecting right now), and 'real'
transit providers start offering service, I cannot yet offer stable IPv6
connectivity outside of this AMS-IX cloud. I have heard sounds of operators
filtering out 3ffe::/16 due to its impact on general availablility of
IPv6 to their customers. This deserves discussion!

Also, what about the previous pTLA allocations and general database
tidiness. Jeroen Massar has, on numerous occasions, brought old stuff to
our attention, and perhaps his point on us cleaning the DB up is valid.
Should people that have not been announcing their pTLA have it revoked ?

Just some thoughts to kick off the discussion.

groet,
Pim

--
Pim van Pelt                 Email: pim@ipng.nl