[6bone] IPv6 connection + website.

Jeroen Massar jeroen@unfix.org
Sat, 9 Nov 2002 11:09:03 +0100

John Klos wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > > Install NetBSD on a PC, and use that.

Install the OS you need and install that on whatever hardware you got
and/or want.

> > Thanks for your reply, can you explain what part of my
> posting you were
> > answering with your reply?
> > Will this solve my website query?
>
> I think this is a good suggestion, as IPv6 on Windows is
> something of a hack. Unless your intention is to learn the
idiosyncracies of IPv6 on
> Windows, using an operating system that does IPv6 very well
> is a very good idea. It all depends on what you want to learn - the
process
> (of setting up IPv6) or the practise (of running IPv6). Windows
involves much more
> process, and NetBSD much more practise.

Ehm what kind of weird statement is that?
What is so peeping difficult at reading documents to configure stuff?
One doesn't even have to for both OS's (ipv6 install and rtsold
<interface> :)
Calling the Windows IPv6 stack is really odd as it's a fine nice working
seperate IPv6 stack independent of the IPv4 one. It all works very well.
Could you also explain the "iodiosyncracies" whatever that may be??
And what is the hacking involved in there? Every stack has their
oddities
and without them it wouldn't be fun now would it ?

> Is your goal to learn how to deploy IPv6, or how to use IPv6 in a
Windows
> environment? If it's the latter, then this list isn't for
> you; our goal is IPv6 deployment for the world and the lan alike, and,
like the current
> IPv4 Internet, for everyone regardless of OS.

Indeed _regardless_ of OS, and why the peep can't he use Windows for
that?
It works perfectly well as one, even though some people prefer this and
other
people prefer that. Also IMHO I think the 'process' part for learning a
complete UNIX
system is much higher than learning Windows, which is mostly the reason
most
people use Windows. Lower learning curve or 'process' as you like to
call it.

> To put it simply, one does not deploy for a specific OS when
> one deploys for the Internet (well, people do, but it's not correct).
The
> same is true of IPv6.

You didn't read/see Lord Of The Rings yet I assume:

One protocol to bind them all,
multiple program's to use it all,
multiple OS'es to run it all"

Ah well it at least looks a bit like that one thingy :)
Translated into english: Use what you want wherever you want when and
whereever you need it.

Greets,
 Jeroen